Friday, December 19, 2014

Beautiful Moments

Beautiful moments is a concept that I've stolen and kept close to my heart. It's my reason that keeps making me want to write despite meeting my own inadequacies as a writer every time I sit down. I've seen so many beautiful moments over the years that I have greedily devoured and horded for myself. They fester down in my guts, glowing and burning, my most prized possessions. I can feel them all running together, melting into each other and forming a single soft glow inside my soul. I feed it, throw fuel on it and fan the embers hoping to turn it into a fire. Maybe someday, it will grow and I can pass it to someone else.

Pendleton Ward is the creator of the popular animated show Adventure Time on Cartoon Network. A lot of people like it, and a lot of people hate it, for a lot of different reasons. I have my own feelings on the show and my own reasons, but that's a story for a different time; before I even started watching his show, I read an interview with Mr.Ward, and one part of it stuck out to me.

"Pat McHale and I (Pat's my creative director), we both like nice things a lot. I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's Totoro. It's really beautiful and it makes me feel really good inside to watch it and I want to recreate that feeling. I'm just inspired by that feeling. I often times try to make things like that. We try to have moments like that."


I'm a long time fan of Miyazaki's films. Totoro was a movie I watched a lot as a kid. His movies stand out in my mind as not being simply entertainment, but having an element of poeticism that touches something human deep inside me, stoking that inner flame. Ward strives to put that into his own creation, like little jewels that aren't obvious at first glance, that you have to dig for. I realized I wanted to create my own beautiful moments, because they're so precious to me and I don't think there are enough of them in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment